What is the Government-in-Action Youth Tour?
Every June, some 1,800 high school students from across the country spend a week in the nation's capital as part of the National Rural Electric Cooperative Youth Tour. The students are sponsored by electric cooperatives that are committed to educating America's rural youth.
Participating in the Youth Tour is an awesome way to learn about this great nation, develop leadership skills, gain a better understanding of electric cooperatives, and make friendships that will last beyond the week!
Learn more about the North Dakota Youth Tour here.
How do you apply?
Write a winning essay by January 31, 2018
To enter the essay-writing contest, you must:
• Be enrolled as a high school sophomore or junior during the 2017-18 school year.
• You and your parents or guardian must be served by Roughrider Electric Cooperative.
• Essay is not to exceed two standard 8½- by 11-inch typewritten, double-spaced pages on this topic: There are approximately 20 million military veterans in the United States today. How shall fellow U.S. citizens honor and look after these veterans, who have served and sacrificed on our behalf? Describe any special connection you may have to a veteran or active-duty member of the military.
• Submit your essay in hard copy or electronic format to Roughrider Electric. Electronic submissions should conform to the two-page, double-spaced guideline described above. Include a cover page with your name, date of birth, school and grade in 2017, parent or guardian’s name, address and telephone number.
• The deadline is Jan. 31, 2018. Emailed entries should be directed to email@example.com, and hard-copy entries mailed to: Youth Tour Essay Contest, Roughrider Electric Cooperative, 800 Highway Dr., Hazen, ND 58545-4737.
• If you have a question, contact Brad Quenette at our offices.